In London, one of the largest and major architectural landmarks is a monument. It is known as Nelson’s column and can be seen at Trafalgar Square. Rising high above the city Nelson’s column looks at “Whitehall”, which he once served to.
Nelson’s column is an expression of triumph over Frenchmen and Englishmen and was built to honor his glory among the English naval heroes. This monument was built between 1840 and 1843., and it marks the death of Admiral Horatio Nelson at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805 Nelson’s Column was built so that it looks at the Admiralty, and Portsmouth. The rise of this monument in honor of Nelson is not unusual, since for him applies strong words such as “If there was ever a man earned its greatness through action and through suffering, it is the hero of Trafalgar.”
The statue is 5.5 meters high and is mounted on a 46 meters column of granite. Nelson’s Column is surrounded by fountains and today is guarded by four bronze statues of lions. They are project of Sir Edwin Landseer and are casted by Carlo Marocheti in 1867 The upper part of Nelson’s Column is decorated with bronze bas-reliefs of Nelson sea victories. For their making are used captured French cannons.
There are four plinths in the corners of the square. Both north were intended for statues of horsemen, and are therefore wider than the two southern. There are statues on three of them: George IV , Henry Havelock, and Sir Charles James Napier. Ken Livingstone, the mayor of London, clearly wanted the statues of the two generals to be replaced with statues that ordinary Londoners would recognize.
There are two statues on the lawn in front of the National Gallery – James II at the west entrance and George Washington at the east. The second statue was a gift from Virginia and stands on soil imported from the U.S. (according to the Declaration of Washington, he never set foot on British soil).